Saturday, April 10, 2010

Working on a business plan

I'm working on a business plan. It's a pretty straight forward process from the information regarding business plans I've gathered from SBA. I've been researching my potential competitors, which it seems upon first glance there are lots but when I really think about it only RAD is offering anything similar to what I plan to offer. Even so, RAD doesn't have any updated or active scheduled classes listed. I'm going to have to contact them to see if they're still actively teaching classes at UTC.

All the other potential competitors in the "self defense" category are all listed as Martial Arts schools, with the exception of Chattanooga State's Advanced Women's Self Defense classes in their physical education electives. I plan on offering a major focus on self-defense education in awareness, safety, risk assessment and avoidance with a minor aspect of physical self defense techniques. I don't see the services I will offer directly competing with martial arts schools that market direct physical self-defense techniques as their primary curriculum.

Interestingly enough, there doesn't seem to be any regulatory board or certification requirements for teaching self-defense. I suppose the free market will decide which system sells the most value in self-defense services; hopefully no one dies in the process.

Since I am a student of Dr. Wong's Kung Fu Academy, I have sought Michon's blessing in this business venture.

As part of market research I will be visiting several, if not all, of the businesses listing self-defense as part of their offered services.

No comments:

Post a Comment