Friday, April 9, 2010

Starting up ISDS.

Hello. My name is Sean.

Martial Arts Experience:
I've studied the martial arts since I was very young. My father started teaching me Goju-ryu Karate when I was three years old. During my lifetime I continued to train in one form of martial art or another as we moved from place to place. At age eleven I studied .Tae Kwon Do, Hap Ki Do and Judo at TTJC (Tennessee Taekwondo Judo Center) in Alcoa, TN. At age 15 I, and my best friend, took private lessons in Tae Kwon Do from a korean minister. From age 16 to 20 I studied Tae Kwon Do at Rick Hall's TKDplus in Chattanooga, where I attained the rank of 2nd Degree Black belt. At age 20 I joined the United States Navy and served for six years as a Firecontrolman. During my service in the Navy I studied Jeet Kun Do Concepts with Duane Walden and Roy Harris, instructors in the Progressive Fighting Systems. In the JKD Concepts system I learned techniques and applications from Kali Stick and Knife Fighting, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Thai Kickboxing, Wing Chun Kung Fu, and Jeet Kun Do. In 2003 I started training in Bai Mei Kung Fu under Dr Y.Q. Wong. I am presently continuing my training in Bai Mei Kung Fu.

Security Experience:
In the Navy, as CIWS work center supervisor of the Combat Systems division, I was part of the Ship's Security Force and participated in training for small arms, guidelines for use of deadly force, close quarters combat, and maintained the ship's armory.

Small Arms Experience:
I earned the Expert Marksman medal for pistol and the Sharpshooter Marksman medal for rifle while serving in the military.

Integrated Self Defense Services:
ISDS is the name of the business I am starting in order to provide services and education in self defense to the Chattanooga area community. I decided to start this business when a co-worker of mine approached me asking if I've thought about teaching self-defense as a way to supplement my income. As we discussed it she said she and a few of her friends would be interested in learning self-defense if I was willing to teach them.

I thought about this idea for several weeks and finally decided to go for it. I have business minor in entreprenuership at UTC (unfortunately I haven't completed the requirements for my major in Psyshology yet) and felt it would be better to start a business revolving around self-defense services rather than just teaching a few people for cash.

So far I have applied for a business lisence, am working on a business plan, and am writing a series of lesson plans for self-defense classes. I've decided on a sole proprietorship for now and will market to individual clients through my social network, referrels and word of mouth.

The purpose of this blog is to document my experience in starting a small business, to discuss self-defense, and provide a forum for people to see what Integrated Self Defense Services is all about.

Thank you for reading.
--Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment