Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Business License Application #6139 -- APPROVED

All right, the business license application was approved and has been paid. I'll be receiving the license in the mail soon. I ordered 250 business cards yesterday, very basic and simple until I get rolling.

I wrote up a rough draft of a marketing research survey. The business plan is about 40% complete. It's slow going because I'm just working on it in my spare time. Since I have a few prospective clients lined up already who are waiting on a scheduled session, I have been writing up a lesson plan.

I will have to start teaching so the lesson plans can be refined for time and content as I gain experience in how much information can be reasonably taught in a one hour time frame. I think I'll go and talk to Dr. Watson at UTC and get some insight on how he plans for his one hour lectures and how much he can cover during that time.

I'm going to look for the local SCORE (Society of Retired Entreprenuers) branch and schedule some time with one of their members to gain some insight to launching a small business.

I didn't apply for a tax code number, but I suspect I will need to very soon. It said you wouldn't need to if you make under $400.00 in a certain time period. We'll see how it goes.

I plan on pushing start up costs way down by working with bare essentials and slowly aquiring things I need as I earn income. A laptop computer is in the near future. I'm fully capable of keeping a paper record of accounts using the cash accrual method, but I don't want to do that for too long or I'll end up spending just as much money in filing cabinets and folders as I would in a cheap laptop. Plus... paper is hard and time consuming to back up by hand.

Things are going well and I'm having fun. As long as I don't overreach and overwork in this process, as long as I take baby steps forward and focus on careful planning, then everything will move along nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment